Setting up Slack Follow
Using Slack for Remote Teams
Slack is a messaging platform teams can use for all of their team communication and collaboration. Slack allows you to have multiple conversations and threads about different topics or projects you’re working on in one central, searchable place.
Download the Slack app on your device(s)
You can download the Slack app for desktop or mobile. Just visit https://slack.com/download or you can download the mobile app from Google Play or the App Store.
Join your workspace
A workspace is a company’s shared hub, where team members communicate and collaborate together in channels.
If your company has an existing workspace, you can join the workspace by:
- Accepting an email invitation from someone in the workspace
- Joining your company's workspace automatically using your work email address
- Finding workspaces you're eligible to join by looking up your email address
If your company doesn’t have a workspace you will need to create one
What to know before getting started
- When you create a workspace, you’ll become the Workspace Primary Owner.
- If you plan to use Slack for work, make sure to use an email address from your company’s domain to create your workspace.
- Go to https://slack.com/create in your browser
- Enter your email address, then click Next. Check your email for a 6-digit confirmation code.
- Enter your code, then name your workspace and click Next.
Note: Your workspace name is visible to anyone that knows your team’s Slack URL, even if they’re unable to sign in.
- Create a new channel for your workspace. Consider making your first channel a general discussion channel e.g. #general, and then creating more topic-specific channels later.
- Add coworkers’ email addresses to invite the rest of your team, or select skip for now.
- Click See Your Channel in Slack to visit your workspace.
- Select Finish Signing up at the top of the screen. Enter your name and password, then click Next.
- Review your workspace name and URL, then click Finish to save.
- Open the Slack app.
- Tap Get started.
- Enter your email address, then tap Next.
- Find your confirmation email, then tap Confirm Email Address to return to Slack.
- Tap Create a new workspace.
- Name your workspace, and change the workspace URL if you want.
- Enter your full name (this is what other people will see along with your messages in Slack) and a secure password.
- Tap I Agree to accept the Slack Terms of Service, then tap Done.
Setting up your profile
Slack profiles help you work better with team mates whether they know you or not. Set up your profile by adding your name, title, and a clear profile picture of yourself.
- Click your workspace name in the top left.
- Select View Profile.
- Click Edit Profile.
- Edit your profile, then click Save Changes.
- Swipe left to open the right sidebar.
- Tap Edit Profile.
- Edit your profile, then tap the close icon at the top left.
- Tap the three dots icon at the top right.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Edit profile.
- Edit your profile, then tap Save at the top right.
A channel is a single place where a team can share messages, tools, and files, related to a single topic or project they are working on. Channels can be created for any topic or project, there’s no limit - however the more channels you have, the harder it can be to keep them maintained.
For more information about the different types of channels and who can see each channel visit What is a Slack Channel? on the Slack website.
Tips and Tricks
For tips and tricks to get the most out of using Slack for your team, visit the Slack Help Centre: Tips, tricks & more. The help resources also include success strategies and role-based handbooks.