In a pandemic, employers play a key role in protecting employees’ health and safety. Organizations can help limit any negative impact on the economy and society as well. Companies that provide critical infrastructure services, such as power and telecommunications, must also plan to continue operations in a crisis. As with any emergency situation, having a contingency plan is essential.
Areas to plan could include:
- How you will maintain your essential services or activities with high numbers of staff absence over an extended period.
- What essential goods and services you rely on and how you will manage any disruptions to supply.
- How you can implement alternative work practices in your workplace (for example, social distancing measures, remote working capability).
- What services will need additional support to meet a surge in demand (for example, IT support services).
- How you can protect your workers and reduce the risk of spread of the pandemic influenza virus in your workplace.